National Eligibility Test July 2016
Eligibility Criteria for UGC - NET Exam
Conditions of Eligibility:
1. Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities and Social Science, Computer Science &Applications, Electronic Science etc.
2. The Other Backward Classes belonging to non-creamy layer/Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe , Persons with disability category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
3. Candidates who have appeared OR will be appearing at the qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However,
4. Such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of Junior Research Fellowship/eligibility for Assistant professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree examination OR equivalent with at least 55% marks(50% marks in case of OBC (Non- creamy layer)/SC/ST/PWD(persons with disability) category candidates.
5. Such candidates must complete their P.G degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
6. The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991 shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks for appearing in NET.
7. Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their post graduation only. The candidates, whose post graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects in item No.14 (on page 11), may appear in a related subject.
8. Candidates are neither required to send any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form to CBSE. However the candidates, in their own interest, must satisfy themselves about their eligibility for the Test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the UGC/CBSE at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action.
9. Candidates having post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi. (www.aiuweb.org)
Age Limit and Relaxation:
1. Junior Research Fellowship: Not more than 28 years as on 01.06.2015. (5 years for OBC (Non- creamy layer). SC/ST/PWD categories and to women applicants. Relaxation will also be provided to the candidates having research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority. Three years relaxation in age will be permissible to the candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree. Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
2. Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
List of UGC NET Subjects
Subject Code and Subject Name
2 Political Science
10 Social Work
11 Defence and Strategic Studies
12 Home Science
14 Public Administration
15 Population Studies
16 Hindustani Music (Vocal/Instrumental)
46 Adult Education/ Continuing Education/ Andragogy / Non Formal Education
47 Physical Education
49 Arab Culture and Islamic Studies
50 Indian Culture
55 Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management
59 Library and Information Science
60 Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian and Peace Studies
62 Comparative Study of Religions
63 Mass Communication and Journalism
66 Museology & Conservation
70 Tribal and Regional Language/Literature
71 Folk Literature
72 Comparative Literature
73 Sanskrit Traditional Subjects (including Jyotisha/Sidhanta Jyotisha/Navya Vyakarna/ Vyakarna/Mimamsa/Navya Nyaya/Sankhya Yoga/Tulanatmaka Darsana/ Shukla Yojurveda/ Madhv Vedanta/ Dharma Sastra/ Sahitya/ Purana-itihasa/Agama/Advaita Vedanta)
74 Women Studies
79 Visual Art (including Drawing & Painting/Sculpture/Graphics/Applies Art/History of Art)
81 Social Medicine & Community Health
82 Forensic Science
87 Computer Science and Applications
88 Electronic Science
89 Environmental Sciences
90 International and Area Studies
92 Human Rights and Duties
93 Tourism Administration and Management
96 Karnatik Music (Vocal Instrument, Percussion)
97 Rabindra Sangeet
98 Percussion Instruments